The Greenwich facility has been used for the manufacturing of submarine communication cables since the mid 1850’s when the site was acquired by Glass Elliot and Co . The Greenwich facility was at the forefront of the emerging submarine telecommunications industry then and retains that pioneering role up to the present day. In 1864 Glass Elliot and Co and a partner company amalgamated to form the Telegraph Construction and maintenance company which was known as Telecon. It is estimated that between 1865 and 1945, 70% of all the submarine telegraph in the world was manufactured and laid from the Greenwich facility. This is where the first transatlantic communication cables were manufactured and shipped out. Britain and America were ‘connected’ for the first time from this site.
Successive companies have owned the site until Alcatel took over in 1994 and merged with Lucent in 2006. All of these companies have been involved principally with submarine telecommunications. Alcatel-Lucent has continued to manufacture high reliability products for submarine cable networks at the Greenwich facility, ensuring that Alcatel-Lucent retains its position as the world leader for the supply of Submarine Networks.